Hi there! So it seems I can now share with you this Character Design project I did almost a year ago. Bellow you'll find a narration of what I was presented with and what the process of creating these characters was like. I hope you find it insightful!
The draft that was presented to me, along with two short stories (which I really enjoyed, btw) described a pair of twins as the protagonists, with their mystical grandmother and a very wise black cat; who would take the young readers on different adventures throughout Basque History. So right off the bat, there were a couple of key design considerations I would have to keep in mind:
- *The fact that the illustrated project could potentially evolve into an animated series, meant the designs would need to function in both mediums; as well as providing model and expression sheets.
- The lengthy historic timeline implied that either the characters would need to have multiple different costume designs, or a neutral attire that could fit in different time periods. The client chose the latter.
- Clean up.
- Base color. Line art in Overlay mode.
- Local colors (solid) in Normal mode, on a clipping mask or with transparency blocked.
- Darks and "stains" on Overlay mode, also on a clipping mask.
- Lights and Rim Light on overlay mode, also on a clipping mask.
- For the "Through-the-trees highlights" effect, create some white marks with an irregular brush on Overlay mode. Duplicate that layer, apply and delete the mask so transparency is no longer restricted, and then apply a Gaussian Blur effect to that layer, in order to achieve that luminous look.